MECC SUSPENDS OPERATIONS AFTER INSIDE GATHERINGS DIRECTIVEThursday, March 19, 2020
Operations at the MECC have been suspended following today’s government Coronavirus directive relating to inside gatherings.
Mackay Regional Council CEO Craig Doyle said the decision had been made to suspend operations at the MECC, effective immediately, for six weeks.
“We’ve made this decision in light of the ban on inside gatherings of more than 100 and the number of cancellations the MECC has already received,’’ Mr Doyle said.
“We’ll reassess the situation at the end of April,’’ he said.
Although operations have been suspended, the MECC can still be contacted through the box office on 4961 9777 from 9am to 4.30pm, Monday to Friday.
However, there is no need for ticket-holders affected by the suspension of operations to contact the MECC. The MECC box office will contact those ticket holders to arrange refunds.
MECC staff will be redeployed to other tasks at the facility.
“We’ll use the suspension of operations as a maintenance shutdown period,’’ Mr Doyle said.
Meanwhile, operations have also been suspended at council’s museums.
Mr Doyle said the region’s museum were operated by volunteers and council was conscious of their health and wellbeing.
“After taking onboard feedback from our volunteers, we’ve decided to also suspend operations at our museums,” he said.
“Once again, this will be reviewed and reassessed at the end of April.”